Saturday, August 20, 2011

PE5 – Google Groups



I have seen the beauty of seeking out groups using Groups.  I started by just clicking the browse for groups button.  Groups offers a number of choices, first by topic then location.  Users may choose varying degrees of specificity.  Very specific searches led me to groups for which one needed to apply for entry.  For example there was a group formed by painters who live near me.  Based on my search criterion I believe these folks to be artist.  They could be housepainters though, because I am not a member of the group.  I decided not to apply for membership because I can't paint.

After a number of specific searches I decided that I would need to perform a more vague search in order to find a group to instantly participate in.  I found an English language poetry group.  Unfortunately and, alas predictably, after a thorough search through the thread, I failed to find any good poetry.  Although I'm a bit of a "chav" when it comes to modern poetry… it needs to have beets & get spit by an MC.  I plan to soon start posting some bad poetry of my own.



Groups turns out to be a powerful tool for finding groups to join.  I am still of the opinion that Groups is more effective tool for organizing & maintaining groups that finding them.  This is more a result of high functionality in the former rather than low functionality of the latter.  Incorporate Google Groups into your life.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment